You’ve probably seen the term ‘bone conduction’ in reference to 2-way radio headsets, but you may not be clear on what it is or how it works.
With bone conduction, vibration in your jawbones and cheekbones allow you to hear sound. Soundwaves bypass the eardrum completely, and sound is conducted to the inner ear through the bones of the skull. You’ve probably experienced it firsthand without even knowing it—bone conduction is the reason your own voice sounds different to you than when you hear a recording of yourself.
The main application of 2-way radio accessories with bone conduction are police and military communications. This is because bone conduction leaves the ears open and allows for full situational awareness, meaning that users can stay aware of their surroundings in dangerous situations.
The Benefits of Bone Conduction
- Suitable for those with hearing loss: Not only are bone conduction devices compatible with hearing aids, those with hearing loss have been successfully using this technology for years. For example, famous hearing-impaired composer Beethoven used bone conduction to hear music by biting down on his composer’s wand in contact with the piano.
- Allows for situational awareness: As mentioned above, bone conduction is ideal for situations when the user needs to stay aware of any ambient sounds to avoid danger.
- Compatible with hearing protection: Since bone conduction headsets don’t go in your ears like traditional earpieces, it’s possible to use ear plugs or other forms of hearing protection at the same time.
Impact’s Bone Conduction Products
Impact offers multiple bone conduction products depending on your unique needs:
- PBM-1 Bone Induction Mic: Single wire surveillance kit w/inline PTT and 3.5mm acc jack and bone induction ear piece.
- PTHS-SPTT Bone Conduction Headset with Standard and Finger PTT: Dual bone conduction speakers for radio received audio and a noise-cancelling boom microphone for transmission, with standard wired PTT.
- PTHS-WPTT Bone Conduction (Temple Transducer) Headset with Body and Wireless PTT: Dual bone conduction speakers for radio received audio and a noise-cancelling boom microphone for transmission, with a wireless remote PTT switch.
Ideal for police and tactical applications, both PTHS headsets are backed by actual SWAT officers from all over North America, attaining one of the highest ratings ever for bone conduction tactical headsets. We are proud to offer 2-way radio accessories that meet the high standards put forth by the National Tactical Officers Association (NTOA).
IMPACT™ is a world leader in the design and manufacture of unique communication products including surveillance earpieces for a range of industries and applications including public safety, security, hospitality, and others. Contact us today to learn more about our products!
Like this? You might also like:
- A Guide to Portable 2-Way Radio Accessory Slang
- Situational Awareness vs. Noise Blocking: Choosing the Right Earpiece for Your Application
- The Differences between Platinum, Gold, and Silver Series Earpieces